Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Preggers Post - Week 18

It's official.... we're having a boy! 

Yesterday Mr. Smith and I went for our Anatomy Ultrasound, thinking we had a little girl in there.  When the ultrasound technician (sweetheart, by the way, because she totally put up with our off-the-wall questions), asked what we thought it was, we both said, "Girl.  Everyone's telling us it's a girl."  To which she said, "Well everyone's wrong.  It's a boy!" 

I seriously thought Mr. Smith was going to kiss her.  I haven't seen him that happy in Lord knows how long. 

We are very, VERY, excited at Little Boy Smith cookin' away in there.  The ultrasound showed that everything looked normal - Little Man was in there, kickin' away and swimming around (special thanks to my lunchtime Mountain Dew), with not a care in the world. 

Which leads me to my next development - Anterior Placenta.  Apparently I haven't felt Little Man doing his jive in there because I have one of these.  Which Mr. Smith immediately Googled upon leaving.  Here's what WhattoExpect.com says:

It means your baby is taking a backseat to the placenta. The term "anterior placenta" refers to the location of the placenta within your uterus. Most of the time, a fertilized egg will situate itself in the posterior uterus — the part closest to your spine, which is where the placenta eventually develops, too. Sometimes, though, the egg implants on the opposite side of the uterus, closest to your abdomen. When the placenta develops, it grows on the front (or anterior) side of your uterus, with the baby behind it.


Does the location of your placenta make any difference? Not to your baby, who doesn't care which side of the uterus he or she is lying on, and it certainly makes no difference to him or her where the placenta lies. And what about to you — or your practitioner? You might be less able to feel your baby's early kicks and punches because the placenta will serve as a cushion between your baby and your tummy..... These situations will resolve if the placenta moves into a more posterior position later on (as anterior placentas commonly do). But the good news here is that, despite those slight inconveniencies, an anterior placenta in and of itself poses no risk to your health.



I read that last line several times.  Worst case scenario:  C-section.  I'm cool with whatever.  Just get Little Man out safely.
 
Which leads me to our appointment with our super-cool ob, Dr. Hoover.  She answered a couple of my questions - thankfully - that had been plaguing me since our last visit, when I saw about 4 med students get on the elevator with us.  This is how it went down:
 
"Um, Dr. Hoover, on D-Day, will there be, like,  12-year-old med students in the room with me, at the most anguishing/embarrassing moment at my life, pointing and staring?  Because I know UAB is a learning facility, and I, um, just wanted a heads up if so."  (Mr. Smith is dying right now, by the way, in his chair.)
 
"Mrs. Smith, absolutely not." 
 
Sweet.
 
"Mrs. Smith, have you thought about a birth plan yet?"
 
"Yes.  My plan is not to be a martyr.  I don't want to be a hero, here, Dr. Hoover.  You just shoot me up with whatever pain medicine you have and get him out safely." 
 
"Perfect!  You're the perfect, most wonderful pregnant lady patient ever!" (This line may have not happened quite like that....)
 
 
Later last night, we held a little Gender Revelation Party at our home, with our family. 
 
Before the Great Unveiling, we had everyone vote on what they thought Baby Smith was. 
 
 Team Boy:  Mitchell, Grandma Nancy, Dad

Team Girl: Whit, Melanie, Mom, Sister, MiL, FiL 

Proud Parents-to-Be
(Yes, that's a double chin.  Apparently all my weight gain has gone to my face.  Whatev.  I'm trying to rock it.)

It's a BOY!!! 

To Do Now:
Take back all my girl stuff. 
Stock up on boy stuff! 
Order my boy crib bedding.
Select a name (Mr. Smith is very picky!)

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I love him already! Can't wait to see what name Mr. and Mrs. Smith decide on...gotta get the monogramming machine going for my newest precious nephew!

    p.s. I believe Dr. Hoover's husband is also Dr. Hoover...one of my pulmonolgists that I worked for at Childrens. I loved him, and I've heard that she is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited! Glad ya'll were surprised! Can't wait to hear the name ya'll pick out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disregard my email... I read the post. So excited! I was team boy all the way! I love the name Michael! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina,

    Congratulations!! It has been so fun to read your blog and keep up with your pregnancy. I just had a little boy in September, so it is neat to remember what little Crawford was doing inside. Congrats again and Good Luck with everything!
    Caitlin Boe Stolzenthaler

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I had that anterior/posterior placenta..whatever it's called. All was well and it did shift. That sounds gross. All that to say, no worries, sister, no worries!

    ReplyDelete