Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Boredom in the Kitchen Leads to Creativity, Right?

I'm bored, folks.  Bored in the kitchen, that is.  Mr. Smith and I both agreed this weekend that we needed to spice things up with our weekly menu, and that duty fell to yours truly (because it is my jurisdiction, right?).  I'll admit it, I get into a routine in the kitchen, making our favs without venturing out into the unknown.  And these favs are easy, so there's really no work or creativity involved.  But, I like to cook and enjoy learning about it, so last night I tried a brand new recipe from the First Presbyterian Cookbook: Dorito Chicken.  Now, I know you're probably thinking, um, what?!?  I did too when I saw it, but alas, it was a crowd pleaser.  Which means I get to share it with y'all! 

You know that Friends episode where Rachel accidentally mixes together the Trifle with the Shepherd's Pie?  But Joey still eats it, saying something along the lines of .... Beef?  Good.  Jam?  Good.  Well, that's how I felt when first reading this recipe... and it was good!

Dorito Chicken
  • 1 large can of canned chicken - 10-12 oz. (I used the Swanson white meat) Be sure to separate out the chunks and drain it.  Your pets will also flock to your heels during this like vultures, so watch out for any potential tripping.  I swear my kitchen is a circus.
  • 2 cans of Cream of Chicken
  • 1 can Rotel (I used Mild)
  • 1 small onion, chopped (we're not big onion people, so I think I used half the onion)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 bag of Dorito's (about half a bag, crushed into bite size pieces)
Mix all ingredients together, except the Dorito's.  Do the Dorito's last, and only mix just a enough to get the chips covered.  Pour ingredients into greased 9 X 13 baking dish.  I topped mine with some crushed Dorito bits to make it pretty.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (it will be bubbly!).  Instant "boy" favorite!


Exciting News!  Mr. Smith and I also booked our one year anniversary trip last night!  The only weekend we have open until August (we're professional wedding crashers) is the Fourth of July weekend, so we are making the most out of our 3-day weekend and heading to the beautiful Ellijay, GA mountains.  We're staying in a quaint little (dog-friendly) cabin called "Creekside."  The Pooper is also really pumped about this upcoming adventure as well. 

Enjoy the sunshine today!

No comments:

Post a Comment