Friday, June 17, 2011

I Survived.

I survived my first day back to reality.  It wasn't easy, I'll be the first to admit it, for a variety of reasons.  Parting from the precious babe for a WHOLE DAY being Numero Uno.  
(Lack of sleep and the thought of not having a day in my old sorority t-shirt and Old Navy yoga pants running a close second place.)

But... I survived. 
And, like usual, starting preparing a couple of days early. 
Freezer packed with stored mommy milk?  Done. 
Handy tote and cooler with pump?  Done.
Clothes ironed and laid out the night before?  Done. 

However, even with all the preparation, there were some surprises pop up. 

Here are the ones I'm willing to share:
1.  I forgot how to get ready.  The act of fixing my hair seemed too much in the morning, so I went to bed with a wet head and pulled it back into a ponytail.  However, shaving my legs and putting on a full face of make-up seemed absolutely foreign.  (I know you're thinknig right now... isn't Mr. Smith a lucky man?)  I'm not quite sure H even recognized me when I left!

2.  I had to re-think my working wardrobe that morning.  That cute shift dress didn't quite work for pumping, and the ladies looked a little too volumptuous in it.  Read:  too skanky.  Guess I was just too excited to get it zipped up to notice that it wasn't agreeable to pumping in the restroom.

3.  I forgot how to walk in high heels.  Suffice it to say I fell over more than once in them yesterday and am nursing a hurting right ankle.  Just when I got over those killer cankles...

4.  I cried on the drive in.  Special thanks to Journey and the song "Total Eclipse of the Heart" for the water works soundtrack.  It's all gangsta rap from now on.  The heavy stuff... you know... about being a thug on the street.  Stuff that gets you pumped up, not sappy.

5.  I didn't know H would grow so much he would be speaking complete sentences by lunch.  (Um, yes, that's right.  I'm running home at lunch to feed him.  Baby steps, people.) I swear he looked completely different when I got home. 

6.  I had guzzled my way through about 3 Cokes by lunchtime to combat the zombie state I was in. 

7.  How exhausted I would be by 5:30.  I felt like I was pregnant again.  Thank goodness for Mr. Smith, who sprung into action with a frozen Publix pizza. 

I'm taking it day-by-day folks. 


  1. I'm glad your first day went well! Lucky you to get to go home to feed him! :)

  2. Ugh. Going back to work was the PITS. And I'd had 5 whole months off before the new school year started. I completely relate to music inducing tears. For me, it was Life is a Highway. Ha! And I couldn't WAIT to get back into dresses after I was done nursing. Blissful. It will get easier. You are doing SO GREAT!!