Monday, July 12, 2010

Broccoli Casserole and a Weekend in the Car

I truly felt like the Smith's spent this weekend in the car.  Friday night we stayed in and did a "Movie, Pizza and Wine" night... and it was glorious.  If you haven't seen "She's Out of my League" yet, please drop what you're doing and rent it.  Jay Baruchel = New Crush.  He's replacing Michael Cera, for sure, in my #1 Crush Department.  So sweet and hilarious in this movie!!!  Call me Jay.

Saturday our adventures took us to the booming metropolis that is Excel, Alabama.  Next door to Monroeville, who was celebrating "How to Kill a Mockingbird's" 50th Anniversary. We were guests of the Mixon-Henry wedding, and spent 3.5 hours getting there on Saturday, and 3.5 hours getting back on Sunday morning.  Exhausting, except for that break at Peach Park that all I but threw a temper tantrum that we stop at. 

Sunday was spent catching up on lounging, and I cooked a favorite dish from my mom's recipes: Broccoli Casserole.  We enjoyed this little number with some rotisserie chicken and white rice, and I urge you to do the same. 

Mom's Broccoli Casserole

Here's what you need:
Package of Frozen Broccoli
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup Mayo
1 Big Can of Cream of Mushroom soup (or 2 regular cans)
Townhouse Crackers

This makes enough for a 9X13 casserole dish, so cut the recipe in half if you're not that hungry.  FYI, you can buy most all of this stuff plain ole' generic at Wal-Mart, and it's still divine.  And you save a few bucks in the process, too, right? 

Instructions:
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Cook broccoli however you need to.  I steamed mine in the microwave 'cause it was faster.
While that's cooking, stir up the eggs, mayo and cream of mushroom in a bowl.  I always toss in some cheddar cheese as well, for good measure.  About a cup.

Line casserole dish with cooked broccoli.

Pour yummy mixture over broccoli.  You'll see it start to seep down into the broccoli and get in all the nooks and crannies.


Top mixture with cheddar cheese (the more the healthier better), then finish by topping with crushed Townhouse crackers.  Now, I've tried this before with Ritz crackers, but there's just something about the buttery goodness of those Townhouse crackers that really makes this uber delicious.



Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until the crackers get a little brown.

Serve!


Ignore that paper plate.  I forgot to turn on the dishwasher before our trek across Dixie.  But it tastes swell regardless on fine china or paper plate!  I promise.

I've heard people put white rice or even chicken in their broccoli casserole too.  I stick to what I know best, and it's always been a success at dinners. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment