Sunday, June 22, 2014

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. Psalm 139:14

This scripture has been weaving itself in and out of my thoughts upon Parker's arrival.

While pregnant, I often wondered how different Baby #2 would be and how we would adjust to having another little one around the house.  

Would their personalities be completely different?  And corresponding sleeping and eating habits?
What if they were so different I wouldn't know what to do with this one because those tricks only worked with Harrison and not Parker?

I'm finding that Parker is completely different than Harrison, with subtle differences showing themselves even in pregnancy and these first few months together.

And yet, as his mother, I'm able to comfort and soothe just as well as with Harrison.
Another one of God's designs - mothers.  

They are quite different, actually, but we're adapting:

1.  Harrison hated to be swaddled.  With a passion.  He still kicks off all his covers and blankets.
Parker - loves it so far.  Swaddling usually calms his down and he doesn't "Houdini" his way out of it.

2.  Harrison only wanted to sleep on his tummy; Parker is a good back sleeper.  
Special thanks to the Rock-n-Play for this - where was this with Harrison?

3.  Parker has a bit more reflux and hiccups than Harrison - actually, Harrison never really spit up or had the hiccups at all.  Parker gets the hiccups 3-4 times a day.  Parker also likes to eat "double duty" most times, whereas Harrison only was a "single" eater, which led to more frequent feedings.  

Sigh.  

I guess the most important I catch myself doing is thinking "Wow, well with Harrison we did this.  Or this is just like Harrison!" instead of "Wow, look at Parker doing this for his own first time" like we did with Harrison.  It's a bit harder to take note of the "firsts" with Parker, and easier to make comparisons (especially with a wild 3-year-old running around).  

However, I'm thankful that they are both showing the same sweet personalities, especially with each other!  It will be even more fascinating to watch as they both grow older to see their differences and similarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment